International Conference stars align for Fundraising Day Wisconsin
FDW is your chance to learn from national thought-leaders
By Lisa Pieper
Director of Individual Giving at Milwaukee Public Museum
Co-Chair of Fundraising Day Wisconsin 2019
I am grateful for having the opportunity to be in the “Impact Profession” in Wisconsin for 27 years now. I’ve been fortunate to represent some of the best organizations with remarkable missions and inspiring donors whose generosity and dreams for our city have literally astounded me!
Yet the days can be long and the time it takes to build relationships, write case statements that are compelling, make phone calls and develop planned giving materials can sometimes take its toll too.
So what is my best advice to you? Make connections. Make time for AFP luncheons AND take the time to take an ENTIRE DAY this August 22nd to join us at Fundraising Day Wisconsin 2019. TAKE TIME to come together and learn the latest strategies from leading experts and each other – it is invigorating!
This past March our own AFP SEWI graciously awarded me a Chapter Scholarship to attend the International Conference in San Antonio! As the Co-chair of Fundraising Day Wisconsin, I was so GRATEFUL to hear from the best of the best speakers in our profession and to invite these inspiring speakers to join us here in WI!
My first trip to ICON did not disappoint. Here are some of the tips I picked up from some of the BEST MINDS in fundraising, many of whom have been or will soon be Fundraising Day Wisconsin stars:
- Tom Ahern and Penelope Burk (featured speakers at FDWI 2013 and 2017!) – shared:
Thank you letters in 48 hours = 4x more likely to give again!
A Call in 24 hours = 39% increase in their next gift!
- Penelope Burk’s most recent finding is that 70% of donors use ONE SINGLE SOURCE of info before making a gift – YOUR WEBSITE! Makes your case to improve website content and giving online with ease an organization priority!
- Julia Campbell (FDWI 2019!): We should stop worrying about what board members might say (so what if it’s not perfectly on message?!) and focus more on inspiring them!
- Gail Perry (FDWI 2017) and Lori Jacobwith (FDWI 2019!): Help Board Members want to engage in fundraising by asking them to consider “Why do I care about this organization?” and work together to CREATE YOUR ORGANIZATION’s SIX WORD STORY!
Finally, the simplest rule we must all follow from yet another AMAZING STRONG WOMAN PHILANTHROPY LEADER is:
- “We need to kick more ass.” - Simone Joyeaux at ICON 2019 (FDWI 2013)
Please join me at Fundraising Day Wisconsin on August 22, 2019, at Potawatomi Hotel and Casino – 2019 is going to be our best event yet and we want YOU there!
And, take it from me, APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP! Four lucky winners will get to attend for free, it may as well be YOU.