On Philanthropy: How to paint a beautiful picture without picking up a brush
Milwaukee Celebrates the Art of Philanthropy on November 12
Contributed by AFPSEWI
Milwaukee Business Journal
November 1, 2019 issue
To create an inspiring work, an artist translates a beautiful vision into reality. It’s the same for a philanthropist: starting with their vision of a better world, they wield brushstrokes of passion, creativity, insight, and generosity. Their works don’t just inspire us – they lift our whole community’s quality of life.
Like great art, philanthropy shows the best of our humanity. And our very best will be on display on November 12, when the Association of Fundraising Professionals of Southeastern Wisconsin (AFPSEWI) honors seven exemplary community leaders at its annual National Philanthropy Day awards luncheon:
- Joan and Peter Bruce, whose major gifts to Alverno College and the Greater Milwaukee Foundation fund transformational programs;
- Thelma Sis, for lifting up the most vulnerable in our community as an exceptional volunteer for Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and Sojourner Family Peace Center;
- Bernie Kubale, whose legacy gift will impact future generations of patients at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin;
- Outstanding fundraising executive Penny Gutekunst of the Zoological Society of Milwaukee;
- Hannah Reynolds, dedicated volunteer for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, recognized with the Philanthropic Youth of Today award;
- Komatsu Mining Corp. Group, for providing hope and dignity for the disadvantaged through corporate support of Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity.
In an orchestra, strings, brass, woodwinds and percussion work together – and need each other – to play a glorious symphony. In the same way, Milwaukee’s business, nonprofit, and volunteer leaders must collaborate to craft visionary philanthropy that lifts up our community.
So tune up your violin and plan to attend this exciting event, sponsored by AFPSEWI, the Brewers Community Foundation, the Medical College of Wisconsin, and media sponsor the Milwaukee Business Journal. Visit www.afpsewi.org to register.
On Philanthropy appears monthly in the Milwaukee Business Journal for the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Southeastern Wisconsin Chapter. This month’s column is contributed by Amy Blumenthal.