Here's What You Missed – National Philanthropy Day
National Philanthropy Day 40th Anniversary Highlights
Tuesday, November 13 was the 40th anniversary of celebrating National Philanthropy Day in Southeastern Wisconsin. 530 guests attended this anniversary awards luncheon, presented by the Greater Milwaukee Foundation, celebrated philanthropy throughout our community and specifically honored seven individuals and organizations for their contributions to the community through volunteerism and philanthropy.
Recipients were honored with our six annual awards:
- Todd Wehr Volunteer Award – presented to Wendy Carlson, nominated by Susan G. Komen Wisconsin
- Leave a Legacy Award – presented posthumously to Al Troyke, nominated by Bethesda Lutheran Communities
- Evan P. Helfaer Donor Award – presented to Harris Turer, nominated by Operation Dream
- Wisconsin Organization Philanthropy Award – presented to We Energies/We Energies Foundation, nominated by Discovery World
- Youth in Philanthropy Award – presented to Katie Eder, nominated by the Greater Milwaukee Foundation
- Scott M. Cutlip Professional Fundraiser Award – presented to Karen Spahn, nominated by the Milwaukee Public Museum
Honoree video tributes are posted on the AFP website and can be viewed here. The Photo Gallery is also available for viewing by clicking here.
AFP members were also able to nominate their Partners in Philanthropy, individuals and organizations who are instrumental to the success of their organizations. Many Partners were in attendance and also recognized for their positive impact on our community.
To celebrate the 40th Anniversary of this event, the AFP Board of Directors conveyed a special award – the Trailblazer Award to longtime AFP member Doris Heiser. Doris, who spent much of her career at the Greater Milwaukee Foundation, served AFP at both the local and national level and continues to impact the community today as a volunteer for several organizations and mentor to many in the fundraising profession.
Attending our event as a guest of Doris was Paulette Maehara, CFRE, CAE (retired), who served as President of the Association of Fundraising Professionals for 13 years until her retirement in (year). Paulette was kind enough to share her thoughts with us. “I have attended hundreds of these during my tenure as AFP President and yours ranks at the top! It was very well done, the awardees were outstanding and I think the audience really enjoyed themselves. Congratulations to your AFP Chapter for an outstanding National Philanthropy Day event.”
This event was supported by many volunteer committee members and possible because of the wonderful support of our sponsors.
The heart of the National Philanthropy Day celebration is the good actions of our honorees, nominees and partners, the pulse of that beat comes from our members...
All of our partners felt like it was an honor to be included.
Attending events such as these always leave me with a renewed sense of purpose, pride in the community and motivation to work harder to help others.