Purpose: As a member of the school’s Leadership Team, the Senior Director of Development is responsible for the development plan of St. Joan Antida High School (SJA) and is charged with identifying, cultivating and securing funding for the school. Working closely with the President, school staff, and Board of Directors, the Senior Director of Development will set the direction of the school development program. The Senior Director of Development will establish/cultivate relationships with key constituent groups and will be responsible for new donor acquisition, donor renewal, grant and major gift solicitations. The Senior Director of Development ensures that all special events are managed and successfully executed by the designated responsible member of the Development department.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Direction/Department Management (15%):
- Create, direct, implement and monitor the school’s annual development Plan of Work.
- Work with the administration of the school in establishing goals and objectives related to development as outlined in the Plan of Work.
- Coordinate and implement the annual school development calendar in coordination with the school calendar.
- Prepare and monitor annual itemized development budget.
- Oversee a current, accurate database of all external constituent groups.
- Establish and lead committees, recruit members as needed to maintain and expand development efforts. Senior Director of Development will serve as the Leadership Team member on the Fund Development Committee (of the SJA Board of Directors) in addition to all special event committees.
- Educate faculty, staff, parents, and board members about the mission and ministry of development.
- Provide ongoing reports to the President and Board of Directors/Board Committees on the progress towards annual fundraising goals/metrics.
- Regularly review and update the Development department’s Gift Acceptance Policy and all policies related to day-to-day department operations.
- Supervise the Development Manager.
- Align all development activities to the SJA strategic plan.
- Participate in ongoing education and training in focus area.
- Serve as a member of the school’s Leadership Team.
Implement the Annual Fund/Major Gifts Program (40%):
- Create an annual fund goal, timeline and monitoring tool.
- Provide creative direction in developing the theme, branding and collateral materials used to promote and solicit gifts for the annual fund direct mail campaign.
- Implement yearly major gifts program with goals, timeline and monitoring tool.
- Serve as the primary gift officer, working directly with President in making personal solicitation calls and visits to selected major donors.
- Oversee moves management program and Relationship Action Plans (RAP) for all current and prospective major gift donors.
- Coordinates all donor/prospect school tours and on-site visits for the school/President’s office.
- Responsible for ensuring accurate visit/call reports for all donor visits are done in a timely manner and in accordance with donor database guidelines.
- Conduct prospect research on individual donors and prospects.
- Manage and process all donor gift agreements.
- Responsible for developing and executing a donor stewardship program that details proper donor acknowledgement. This includes overseeing all aspects of an Annual Report, newsletters, and other donor communication materials in addition to providing writing support for major donor and individual contribution letters and acknowledgements.
Write, Monitor and Report on all Grants (20%):
- Meet budgeted goals for restricted and non-restricted revenues through managing grant opportunities.
- Establish and maintain personal contact and relationships with corporate and foundation contacts and program officers.
- Ensure prompt acknowledgement of foundation gifts through the Development Manager.
- Conduct prospect research on foundations/corporate giving.
- Develop and write grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations, persuasively communicating the organization’s mission and programs to potential funders (including letters of intent, full proposals, budgets, and presentations).
- Maintain a grants calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, and reports.
- Prepare and maintain grant reports.
- Coordinate projects with school leadership to ensure grant funds are used in accordance with the donor’s wishes.
Oversee All Special Events (20%):
- Oversee all major events (fundraising and friendraising) including: annual Auction, Spaghetti with the Sisters and NUN RUN to ensure yearly event goals are met.
- Work with development team and President to plan volunteer and donor appreciation events as needed.
- Work directly with event planning committees and/or members of the Board of Directors to secure event sponsorships, underwriting and attendees.
- Responsible for all high-level solicitations for event sponsorships, in-kind asks, etc.
- Evaluate the success and cost effectiveness of each event and determine if events need to be changed or replaced with a different fundraiser.
- Create and manage all event budgets.
Implement and oversee a Planned Giving program (5%):
- Create and maintain a planned giving program.
- Develop a planned giving prospect database.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit planned giving prospects.
- Create planned giving marketing and solicitation materials.
For All Employees:
- Support of and commitment to the mission and vision of SJA.
- Contribution to discussions and ideas impacting the learning environment at SJA while maintaining professionalism and respect.
- Collaborate and communicate in an appropriate, timely, professional manner.
- Establish and model behaviors that promote high expectations for students, staff, and faculty.
- Model the importance for lifelong learning through commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Develop, nurture and maintain relationships that promote respect and success for all.
- Know, serve and live in accordance with the teachings of the Catholic faith.
- Abide by all policies, procedures and the employee handbook.
- Demonstrate stewardship in the use of material and financial resources.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field required, Master’s degree or CFRE certification preferred.
- A minimum of 4-6 years of professional fundraising experience working in a development role with preferred. supervisory experience and increased levels of responsibility over time.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
- Highly motivated individual with good interpersonal skills with strong emphasis in public speaking, writing and organizational skills.
- Catholic preferred, but understanding of the teachings of the Catholic faith and Catholic school operations necessary.
- Ability to work independently and manage several projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Experience working with and utilizing a donor database system.
- Experience in directing and implementing development efforts.
- General understanding of budget and fiscal management processes.
- Understanding and experience in the fundamentals of development.
- Proficient in written and verbal communication.
- Ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of and adherence to ethical standards of the development profession.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to research and write grants.Ability to direct and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships.
- Ability to work select evenings and weekends as well as attend early morning meetings.
- Must be able to tolerate noise.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Must have correctable hearing and sight.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be able to work with all common office equipment.
- Must be able to work with young women on a daily and hourly basis.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and letter of interest indicating desired salary range to: Marikris Coryell, President at firstname.lastname@example.org. **No phone calls please.