Position: Major Gifts Officer
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Director of Development
The Major Gifts Officer supports the Director of Development in cultivation, solicitation and stewardship to achieve growth goals within Milwaukee Ballet’s 5-Year plan. The Development team includes three other full-time staff and works closely with the Milwaukee Ballet Board of Directors, Artistic and Program staff. The Department of Development raises approx. $3,000,000 each year for operations and works on special initiatives including Capital Campaign, planned giving and one-time projects. The Department also works closely with the United Performing Arts Fund.
OUR MISSION & VALUES
Milwaukee Ballet transforms lives and connects communities through inspiring performance, community engagement and training.
At Milwaukee Ballet, we value: Excellence | Innovation | Inclusivity | Respect | Integrity | Accountability
- Enhance our donors’ relationship with Milwaukee Ballet through engagement, activities and communication, helping them accomplish their philanthropic goals
- Manage existing portfolio of 120 donors and prospects
- Secure major gifts at the $2,500 to $100,000 level with the goal of raising $1.5M annually
- Utilize software to track/cultivate donors and prospects, including our donor database (Raiser’s Edge) and wealth screening tools (Research point)
- Work with the Development Director to set strategy for cultivation, stewardship and new donor identification
- Implement moves management plans for assigned donors and prospects
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations and assist the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, appointment setting and help with donor communications)
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition
- Track and report progress using specific metrics from quarterly planning, especially for Development and Finance Committees
- Assist with fundraising events that involve major donors and prospects.
- Represent Milwaukee Ballet at outside events and at Board Committee meetings
- Attend Milwaukee Ballet performances and other ballet events (including some weekends and evenings)
- Maintain knowledge of Milwaukee Ballet programming for organizational strengths and needs that can be communicated to donors.
- Collaborate with Marketing Department to create content for donor recognition.
- Participate in UPAF cultivation and communication with assigned donors.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- 3-5 years’ experience in a similar field, especially fundraising in the performing arts;
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, especially in non-profit or arts management a bonus;
- Passion for the arts with knowledge of dance a significant advantage;
- Excellent computer literacy, including MS Office suite, Raiser’s Edge.
- Proven work ethic, initiative and ability to work autonomously;
- Resourceful and independent while building and fostering consensus across the organization;
- Strong writing and editing skills an advantage;
- Experience with planned giving a plus;
- Ability to work with a diverse group of personalities;
- Emotionally mature with a sense of humor.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Compensation relative to experience level. Years 0-3 10 paid vacation days; 9.5 paid holidays per year; 4 paid personal days; Half-day Fridays in summer; Medical dental, long-term disability and life insurance; business casual office; 403(b) retirement plan offered; complimentary tickets to performances; discounted WAC membership.
Please send your application, including cover letter and resume to Carl Lockrem, Director of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org, by May 20th. No phone calls, please.
Milwaukee Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer.